Frugal February – UPDATE
Well, my shopping ban is in full force. I am one week in and feel pretty good about it. I have opened the extra savings account and have unsubscribed from and deleted a crap ton of emails. They seriously are tempting and can cause some serious FOMO issues. Because, really I might need that product. It’s 25 percent off. Whatever, all marketing tactics. I am sure when I want to buy that product two or three months from now, there will be another sale. There always is.
Let’s see how I have adhered to my rules:
- No new clothes – CHECK
- No new shoes – CHECK
- No new workout clothes – CHECK
- Can only buy things as they run out, for example deodorant or shampoo. How many of you have a shit ton of shampoos and conditioners? Haven’t had to buy anything yet.
- Can buy groceries of course. A girl’s gotta eat. – Yep – I gotta eat.
- No new notebooks, notecards, pens, etc. – CHECK – this one is hard!!
- No new books, except for my business. February purchase was Pat Flynn’s book. I also purchased a kettlebell program from him and Aleks Salkin. I support my friends. It was important to me.
- I will unsubscribe to emails that are trying to persuade me to buy their stuff. Believe me, that is a lot of subscriptions. – CHECK
- I can buy gifts, if needed – CHECK – a friend’s mom passed away and I contributed towards flowers for her visitation. RIP Bonnie.
- This is the last rule, but the most important rule. When I buy something, I will be asking myself if I really need it or if I just want it. This goes for everything I will be buying. THIS, is the most important rule.
I have used the last rule. A lot! I am good about asking myself every time I pick something up if I want it or need it. A few days in, I was al Walmart buying groceries and I noticed how easy it is just to grab stuff. There were several items I put back because I really didn’t need them. I just wanted them. It’s nice to be able to tell the difference.
Thanks for reading – will be back with another update in about a week.